INLAND REVENUE DEPARTMENT
Changes to NBT will be implemented with effect from April 01, 2017 (unless a specific date is
mentioned) as per the Bill to amend the Act and subsequent Committee Stage amendments as passed
in Parliament on the 26th July 2017 and would become law upon the certification of the Hon. Speaker.
According to the Bill passed in Parliament together with the Committee Stage amendments, the
significant changes are as follows.
i. The following exemptions are removed and made liable with effect from August 01, 2017:
- Supply of any goods required for the purpose of providing of services of international
transportation, being goods consigned to Sri Lankan Airlines Ltd, Mihin Lanka (Pvt) Ltd
or Air Lanka Catering services Ltd;
- Supply of any goods or services provided by any Cooperative Society or Lak Sathosa;
- Construction services by a contractor other than by a sub-contractor;
- Services of a travel agent in respect of inbound tours (other than services where the
payment is received in foreign currency through a bank);
- The supply of residential apartments.
ii. The following goods and services are made exempt with effect from August 01, 2017:
- Supply of international telecommunication services to local operators by External Gateway
- Supply of printed books, magazines, journals, or periodicals other than newspapers.
iii. The following services are made exempt with effect from April 01, 2017
- Supply of electricity other than supply of electricity by Ceylon Electricity Board
For any further clarification, please contact IRD call center by dialing 1944